HOME > About ASEAN > Overview
The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) was established with the aim to promote regional peace and stability, and to accelerate economic growth, social progress and cultural development in Southeast Asia. Ever since, ASEAN has made remarkable progress and came to agree on a landmark decision to launch the ASEAN Community in 2015, based on the tree pillars of politico-security, economy and socio-culture. Through the Kuala Lumpur Declaration on ASEAN 2025: Forging Ahead Together, ASEAN declared its new vision and blueprint for the ASEAN Community for the next 10 years.
Externally, ASEAN has been asserting its centrality through ASEAN-centric cooperative mechanisms such as the ASEAN+3, East Asia Summit (EAS), and ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF) by leading discussions on comprehensive agendas within the East Asia region. In parallel with these efforts, the launch of the ASEAN Community, which will signify the emergence of a colossal economic bloc with a population of over 630 million and a combined GDP of 2.6 trillion USD, is anticipated to mark a significant milestone in elevating the status of ASEAN and shore up its influence in the global community.
Fact On ASEAN(2014)
- POPULATION : 630 million (third largest globally)
- LAND AREA : 4.47 million ㎢
- ECONOMY : GDP 2.6 trillion USD (3.2% of total world GDP, 7th highest globally)
- TRADE : 2.53 trillion USD (Export : 1.29, Import : 1.24)
- MEMBER STATES : Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam
- MOTTO : One Vision, One Identity, One Community
- SECRETARIAT : Jakarta, Indonesia (Secretary General: Le Luong Minh)
The official website : www.asean.org